Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The heat is really playing havoc with our garden. While some things, green beans, seem to be suffering, other things like the tomatoes seem to thrive.

It was too hot this morning when I did my morning garden walk to take the time to take pictures however, I will do that tomorrow so that you can see what we are dealing with.

We are going to try to start watering some of the stuff twice a day now to see if that helps. The tomato's don't need that at this point as there leave are not wilting and they continue to produce like crazy. I did finally look at all those green tomatoes longer than I could stand and picked three of them. It just isn't summer if you haven't had fried green tomatoes. The cherry tomatoes continue to ripen and are doing well. The one small plant that I told you all about that had over 40 on it I'm certain now has more. If it cools off a  bit this evening then I'll go out and try to get a count on them.

The green beans certainly are looking bad, seems like everyday half the leaves on the plants dry up and fall off. They are still  producing small beans but I'm not certain the young ones on there now will ever get big enough to pick.

Our plans for next year's garden are in full swing. We are starting now to figure out what all will be planted, what time of the year we need to start some plants in the house and things like that. Currently it looks like there are going to be about 40 raised beds next summer. I have no way of explaining how excited we are as a family over the thought of having all those fresh veggies and hopefully leftovers that we can get to families less fortunate than ours.

I would like to do something for the community like having a shared garden but there would have to be lots of plans and planning g done to make something like that happen.

I think we are going to go brave the heat and see if hubby and daughter can catch a few cats. I hope you all  have a wonderful 4th of July.

No comments:

Post a Comment