Monday, June 25, 2012

Canned Peaches and Green Beans

Today has been such a great day! I was a little run down early this morning so my mom and daughter chased me out of the kitchen to go take a little nap. When I got up they had washed up the few dirty dishes and cleaned up the kitchen. That's better than getting a dozen roses in my book.

After that we started working on canning. Mom and daughter pealed and cut the peaches in half and put them in water with lemon juice in it. Then when they were done we packed them into jars and poured a mixture of water and sugar over them. This will make the syrup as they can and wait to be eaten this winter. Since these were such sweet peaches I was able to use a very light syrup which makes me even happier, that uses a lot less sugar.

While they were working on that I washed and snapped Green Beans. One they were done I filled the jars, put some salt in each jar (don't use table salt, either Kosher or Canning salt is needed) then filled each jar with water, put their flats and lids on and they were ready to go.

These two things don't take long in a cool bath canner so it was no time at all when I had 6 quarts of Peaches and 3 quarts of Green Beans canned and cooling.

It doesn't seem like much but each and every jar means another I don't have to buy from the store. Another jar that I know exactly what is inside of it and another jar that doesn't have ingredient names so long that you need to be a scientist to read them.



No comments:

Post a Comment