Saturday, August 4, 2012

Orange Jelly

Okay friends, here we go this is the AMAZING  Orange Jelly recipe I've been hinting at.

Please keep in mind that these jellies are not just for putting on your toast or bagel in the morning. Fruit is a natural meat tenderizer and using these on pork or chicken can just have some amazing results. Give it a try and come back and comment and let me know how it turned out for all of you.

Here we go! I so hope you all enjoy this jelly as much as I do. It brings the orange flavor out in a strong way, like when you bite into an orange and you get that little tick in your jaw! This jelly will do that for you also. I have a hard time not eating it with a spoon and forgetting about the bread.

Orange Jelly

5 cups of freshly squeezed orange juice.
           let me state here that you can purchase orange juice with no sugar added and use that but you
           will also be putting all the preservatives etc. that they put in orange juice into your jelly. I
           not to do that as that is a huge part of what I'm trying to get away from for my family.
5 cups of Sugar
1 package of powder pectin.

Prepare your jars for canning, have them sterilized and ready to go. Due to the fact that you only process this jelly in a boiling cold bath canner for 5 minutes the jars MUST BE STERILIZED.

Have your lids and rings set out and ready to go, don't forget to put your lids in hot water before placing them on your jars so that they will seal.

In a large pot, do not use an aluminum pot, combine the sugar and orange juice and bring them to a boil. Make sure this is a roiling boil, that is a boil that cannot be stirred down.

Continue the boil until the ingredients are greatly reduced. I found that by the time I reached the required temperature it had reduced enough at that point.

You want the jelly to reach a boiling temperature of 220 degrees. Now to be honest mine never did get to 220, it hit about 217 and just stayed there. I let it boil for about two to three minutes at that temp and it worked out just fine.

Add the pectin and allow to boil for an additional 5 minutes. Again I didn't reach 220 at this stage either but did this step at 217 degrees and it caused me no problems.

Pour jelly into prepared jars. Wipe rims apply lids and rings. Then you will process this in a boiling cold bath canner for 5 minutes.

Makes 4-5 pints.

It is very important that you do not start timing the canning  process until the water has returned to boiling.

As always this is the recipe I use for my family. Your choice to use this recipe is at your own discretion, I can not be held liable for any negative results you may have in the process of making the jelly or canning it.

No comments:

Post a Comment